The Hirschman Mutes "KR Indigo" Plunger Mute is the culmination of a decades-long quest for the best sounding, BY FAR most in tune, easiest to play, most comfortable to hold, most expressive trumpet plunger that money can buy.
"KR" are the initials of Kenny Rampton, world-renowned trumpet player and long-standing member of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra under the direction of Wynton Marsalis. Kenny co-designed this plunger with Hirschman Mutes, incorporating feedback from some of today's top trumpet players.
- IN TUNE! — From low to high, the most in-tune plunger ever. It also provides consistent pitch when switching between open and closed (tight) plunger, something essential for ensemble passages. Better intonation means less "lipping" of notes, reducing fatigue and increasing endurance.
- Kenny Penny™ venting system — Some players like to drill a hole through their plungers (where the wooden stick was) and some don't. Others carry two plungers in their bag to have both. The Kenny Penny venting system provides one penny outside the plunger and another inside. Turning the outer penny closes the plunger hole with the inner penny. Kenny Rampton likes it closed for playing over straight mute and open for plunger alone. There's no right or wrong, and the Kenny Penny lets you discover your ideal sound...that's our "two cents."
- Handgrip — Our large, comfortable handgrip makes the plunger easy to pick up and hold. No more slips or drops!
- Pixie mute killer - Can be used with a standard sized straight mute, so there's no need to buy or lug around a stuffy, out of tune pixie mute anymore. Throw those in the trash where they belong.
- Tone hole — With the Kenny Penny in the open position, you can create interesting effects by covering/uncovering the tone hole with a finger.
- Distinctive color — Inspired by Duke Ellington's Mood Indigo and Snooky Young's/Clark Terry's blue plungers, with a design updated for the 21st century.
Read what Thomas Gansch, Scotty Barnhart and Marcus Printup have to say about the Hirschman Mutes "KR Indigo" Plunger Mute
Thomas Gansch — Leader and trumpet, Mnozil Brass - "Brass players listen: I got this beauty from my good friend Kenny Rampton, a master in the art of plunger playing. He developed the KR Indigo Plunger with Hirschman Mutes and it is an absolute must-have. Only the Indigo has the Kenny Penny!"
Scotty Barnhart — Leader and trumpet, Count Basie Orchestra - "Kenny Rampton’s new plunger mute is just great. The intonation is perfect, it fits nicely in my hand, and it’s easy to play in a variety of ways. I love it!”
Marcus Printup —International trumpet soloist and member of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra - “I’ve always had to teach students how to bend pitch in order to play in tune with a plunger. Bending isn't needed with the Hirschman Mutes KR Indigo because it plays PERFECTLY in tune. Great job Kenny...and you get the Kenny Penny!"
Asking $45.01 + Shipping